Home › Forums › AI & ML – April 2026 › Discussion: Module 6 – AIML-April-2026

  • Discussion: Module 6 – AIML-April-2026

    Posted by Dale on April 20, 2026 at 11:50 am

    The integration of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in various sectors has revolutionized the way we interact with technology and data. In particular, the hospitality industry is seeing significant changes driven by AI and Machine Learning (ML). As we delve into this topic, it’s crucial to examine not only the technological advancements but also the ethical, privacy, and security implications that they bring. Reflecting on these aspects will help us understand both the current landscape and future trends in the field.

    Activity

    For this week’s exploration, reflect on your understanding and experiences relating to AI and ML, particularly within the context of the hospitality industry. Consider any real-world applications you’ve encountered or theoretical knowledge you’ve gained.

    Submission Criteria:

    • Three Things You’ve Learned: Share three insights or pieces of information you have learned about ethics, privacy, and security concerns in AI, or about future AI and ML trends in hospitality.
    • Two Questions You Still Have: Pose two questions that remain unanswered for you, perhaps related to the implications of these technologies or their future developments.
    • One Thing That’s Most Interesting: Highlight one aspect of AI or ML trends or ethical considerations that you find most intriguing or surprising.

    This activity is designed not only to deepen your understanding of AI and ML in hospitality but also to encourage collaborative learning and sharing of diverse perspectives. I look forward to your contributions and the enriching discussions that will follow!

    Your primary post should be completed by Wednesday. Respond to at least two of your peers’ posts with constructive feedback or additional thoughts by Sunday.

    Samir replied 2 months, 1 week ago 8 Members · 19 Replies
  • 19 Replies
  • James

    Member
    May 13, 2026 at 9:13 pm

    Here are my three insights that I came away with.

    1. The Shift from Efficiency to “Human-Centric” Design: AI implementation is most successful when it is treated as a tool for “job crafting” rather than pure replacement. The framework suggests that instead of viewing AI solely as an automated cost-saving mechanism, managers should leverage it to remove repetitive tasks, allowing staff to focus on high-touch, empathetic service—essentially using technology to enable, rather than diminish, human interaction.

    2. While many hospitality firms are currently “AI Idealists”—excited about potential but lacking a clear roadmap, there is a clear path to becoming a “RAISE Adopter.” By institutionalizing principles like Transparency (clearly communicating how guest data informs pricing or service) and Accountability (human oversight of algorithmic decisions), a property can build long-term guest trust that purely efficiency-focused competitors may sacrifice.

    3. A critical, often overlooked aspect of AI in operations is the potential for latent bias. The research suggests that ethical AI is not a “set and forget” deployment; it requires continuous, proactive auditing. This ensures that automated systems, whether revenue management or guest personalization, do not inadvertently result in discriminatory practices that could lead to legal or reputational damage.

    Here are two questions that I still have.

    How do small-to-midscale properties bridge the technical gap?

    Is there a measurable financial penalty for “AI Exploiters”?

    My Highlight

    There is a growing concern that as travelers use their own personal AI Assistants (like Gemini or ChatGPT) to plan trips, the “brand loyalty” shifts from the hotel to the guest’s AI.

    If a guest’s AI filter decides where they stay based purely on objective data, traditional marketing techniques lose their power. Hospitality businesses may find that their only remaining competitive advantage is verifiable, genuinely human interaction, the one thing an AI filter can’t commodify.

    • Jack

      Member
      May 19, 2026 at 7:04 am

      Thanks for the insights, James. Excellent reflection questions- spot-on issues! An ability for independent hoteliers to maintain pace is a similar frequent challenge in the healthcare space for providers who resist joining large systems–they are pressured by an inability to be able to afford the technology to keep pace! Fraud and scams are rampant in the industry with AI abuses. (I was surprised to learn of the number of fake reviews that TripAdvisor reports on the misuse of AI relative to your question of exploiters!) Thank you for heightening my awareness further on these issues! Jack

    • Miranda

      Member
      May 26, 2026 at 9:29 am

      Hey James,

      You brought up a lot of great points, especially about using AI to support employees instead of replace them. I agree that hospitality still depends on human connection, and AI works best when it helps staff focus more on guest interaction rather than repetitive tasks.

      I also liked your point about continuous auditing. People sometimes assume AI is unbiased, but it really depends on the data behind it. That makes transparency and human oversight really important.

      The idea of guests using personal AI assistants to choose hotels was probably the most interesting part of your post to me. If that becomes more common, hotels may have to rely even more on genuine service and guest experience instead of traditional marketing and loyalty programs.

    • Craig

      Member
      June 14, 2026 at 9:30 am

      Hi James, I share the same concerns for the small independent type businesses. How can they be at the forefront of AI given the rapid deployment and constant updating. I fear many will be left behind.

    • Rachel

      Member
      June 17, 2026 at 6:29 pm

      Hi James! I think your point about brand loyalty is very true. I also think we’re seeing a shift in consumer behavior, as many travelers are finding that third-party sites, often the first suggestions generated by AI, can sometimes outweigh traditional brand loyalty. Platforms like Expedia and Booking.com have built their own loyalty programs, allowing travelers to earn and redeem rewards across multiple hotel brands, such as Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton. For some consumers, the flexibility of earning rewards across different brands may be more appealing than being loyal to a single hotel chain.

  • Jack

    Member
    May 19, 2026 at 6:52 am

    After reviewing this week’s materials, I gained several important insights regarding ethics, privacy, security, and future AI trends within the hospitality industry.

    First, I learned from Alec Dalton’s presentation that hotels must obtain informed consent from guests regarding the use of personal information and AI-enabled technologies (Dalton, n.d.). Guests need to feel physically and emotionally safe while staying at a hotel, and transparency regarding data collection is essential to fostering trust. I also learned that hotel organizations must ensure strong cybersecurity protections so that guest information remains secure and protected from misuse or breaches.

    Second, I found the pilot initiatives by Hilton and Marriott International particularly interesting. Hilton’s “Connie” and Marriott’s “Alexis” demonstrate how organizations are experimenting with robots and AI assistants to improve efficiency and guest services (Dalton, n.d.). However, these initiatives also highlight the importance of disclosure. Staff members should clearly inform guests that AI technologies are present within rooms or hotel operations and explain how guest data may be used. Training employees to understand privacy, safety, and security responsibilities is critical for maintaining a secure environment (Davis & Shermanski, 2025).

    Third, I learned that “human in the loop” remains a vital principle in hospitality AI systems (Pertlink, n.d.). Machines can process information quickly, but they do not naturally exhibit empathy, emotional intelligence, or contextual understanding. Genuine hospitality still requires human interaction and compassion. I also found the discussion about the “black box effect” important because blind trust in AI systems can create risks if decision-making processes are not transparent (Pertlink, n.d.). Concerns about data bias must continue to be evaluated carefully to ensure fair and ethical treatment of guests.

    Two questions I still have are:

    1. What
      concrete guidelines can hospitality organizations use to balance
      efficiency gained through AI (while
      still preserving authentic human interaction and personalized guest
      experiences?)
    2. Europe
      seems to be ahead of the U.S. when it comes to AI regulations

    What international standards or regulations may emerge to govern AI privacy, informed consent, and cybersecurity within the hospitality industry? Do American-based hotel systems with international operations embrace European standards for their American domestic facilities?

    One aspect I found especially interesting was the overlap between hospitality and healthcare regarding ethics and informed consent. Both industries have a “duty to disclose”, “a duty to care”, and a responsibility to maintain secure handling of sensitive information.(In healthcare, the Hippocratic oath—“do no harm” guides decision-making at the broadest level! ) I agree with the information shared in the Pertlink (n.d.) podcast that hospitality can be learned from healthcare professionals and legal experts who are accustomed to transparency, informed consent practices, and the safeguarding of confidential data. Additionally, the concept of digital citizenship stood out to me as an important future priority for both the hospitality and healthcare sectors. AI literacy, competence, and ethical awareness will become increasingly necessary as these technologies continue to expand. I also think that AI use should be added to the codes of ethics and professional behaviors if they do not already exist! (I was not aware of the ASAE until shared in the resource materials!)

    References

    Dalton, A. (n.d.). Artificial intelligence in hospitality: Ethics, privacy, and security considerations [Video]. Mediasite, Florida International University. https://mediaweb.fiu.edu/Mediasite/Play/423d28c38f2b4e70aa6d018369002fe61d

    Davis, J., & Shermanski, R. E. (2025, March 27). Member data and the ethics of AI. ASAE

    Pertlink Podcast. (n.d.). [Title of episode] [Audio podcast episode]. In Spotify. Spotify. https://open.spotify.com/episode/6Ci6rOZ6IHafAegPWORjrf?si=ke7K1SWHTqefLWNq-6g0cA&nd=1&dlsi=37cf9dc9743e4d3d

    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  Dale.
    • Miranda

      Member
      May 26, 2026 at 9:30 am

      Hi Jack,

      You brought up some really interesting points, especially the comparison between hospitality and healthcare. I honestly had not thought about how similar they are when it comes to trust, informed consent, and protecting personal information. That connection really stood out to me.

      I also agree with your point about keeping humans involved in the process. AI can definitely help with efficiency, but hospitality is still such a people-focused industry. Guests remember how they were treated and how staff made them feel, which technology alone cannot really replace.

      Your question about international regulations was also a good one. It will be interesting to see whether global hotel brands eventually follow similar AI and privacy standards across all of their properties. I also liked your point about adding AI use into professional codes of ethics because that feels like something the industry will need as AI becomes more common.

    • James

      Member
      June 12, 2026 at 11:17 am

      Hello Jack. Great point on ” Guests need to feel physically and emotionally safe while staying at a hotel, and transparency regarding data collection is essential to fostering trust. In a time where there’s so much identity theft and other cybersecurity issues, guests do want to feel safe.

    • Craig

      Member
      June 14, 2026 at 9:31 am

      Jack, you always offer a really grounded and great comparison but also show similarities between Healthcare and Hospitality and i value this from you. Thanks

  • Miranda

    Member
    May 26, 2026 at 9:27 am

    One thing I’ve learned about AI in hospitality is how much guest data hotels collect through apps, booking systems, and loyalty programs. AI can definitely make the guest experience more personalized and convenient, but it also raises concerns about privacy and data security. It made me realize how important it is for hospitality companies to protect guest information and be transparent about how that data is used.

    Another thing I’ve learned is that AI is only as good as the information it is trained on. If there are biases in the data, the technology can sometimes make unfair decisions or recommendations. That’s especially important in areas like hiring, guest service, and marketing. Even with advanced technology, human oversight still matters.

    I’ve also learned that AI and machine learning are a much bigger part of everyday hotel operations than I previously thought. Hotels are using AI tools for things like chat support, forecasting demand, managing pricing, and even analyzing guest feedback. These systems can help businesses work more efficiently and respond to guest needs more quickly.

    One question I still have is how the hospitality industry will balance technology with personal service. Hospitality is such a people-focused industry, and I wonder how hotels can continue creating genuine human connections while relying more on automation.

    Another question I have is whether smaller hotels and independent businesses will be able to keep up with larger brands that have more resources to invest in AI technology.

    The part I find most interesting is how AI can learn guest preferences and create more personalized experiences. It’s interesting to think about how technology can remember preferences from past stays and tailor recommendations to individual guests. At the same time, I think it also brings up important questions about privacy and how much information guests are comfortable sharing.

    • James

      Member
      June 12, 2026 at 11:08 am

      I genuinely appreciate your question on “Is how the hospitality industry will balance technology with personal service?” I’m still trying to figure that out as I’m currently in the hospitality industry myself. Hospitality and customer service really thrives when there is a human element attached to it.

    • Rachel

      Member
      June 17, 2026 at 6:36 pm

      Hi Miranda! I thought you brought up some really good points, especially about guest data and privacy. AI can definitely make the guest experience more personalized, but it also makes me wonder how comfortable guests are with sharing so much information. Hotels have to make sure they are protecting that data and being transparent about how it’s used.

      I also agree with your point about AI only being as good as the data it’s trained on. Even though AI is becoming more advanced, I think human oversight is still really important, especially in hospitality where guest experience is everything.

      Your question about smaller hotels keeping up with larger brands stood out to me too and was a question I had as well. I wonder if independent hotels will struggle to compete if they don’t have the same budget for AI technology, or if more affordable tools will become available in the future.

  • Craig

    Member
    June 14, 2026 at 9:48 am

    This week’s module, I hate to say, didn’t teach me as much as I was hoping or expecting. The topic of ethical considerations in AI was one I was genuinely looking forward to exploring in more depth. I was hoping to really get into the complexities and challenges, but I found the content to be more logical and surface-level than I anticipated. As a result, I found it difficult to identify three things I learned that were not already second nature or questions I had been asking myself. That said, I did gain a deeper understanding of a few key points.

    1. My concerns seem to be validated by the industry, its leaders, and the wider hospitality community.
    AI is a fantastic tool, but it was created by humans, and humans naturally have biases. Whether intentional or not, those biases can influence the way AI systems are designed, trained, and ultimately make decisions. It was reassuring to see that this concern is widely recognized and discussed.

    2. Oversight and healthy skepticism must remain a priority.
    Even the most advanced technology should be challenged and reviewed. The world of AI is fascinating and offers enormous potential, but there is also a risk that key instinctual or experience-based decisions could be overlooked if organizations become overly reliant on technology. Human judgment still matters.

    3. The human touch can never be removed entirely from hospitality.
    This is, after all, a people business. Of all industries, I believe hospitality is one of the safest from full automation because genuine human interaction remains central to the guest experience. Some tasks will undoubtedly be replaced or streamlined, but I strongly believe the labor and time savings generated by AI should not simply be removed from operating budgets. Instead, they should be reinvested into guest engagement and elevating the human element of hospitality.

    Two Questions I Still Have

    1. How will international regulations evolve around AI?
    Regional regulations already play a major role in data collection and privacy. GDPR in Europe is a good example. What I still do not fully understand is whether Europe will take an even more restrictive approach to AI governance, particularly around decision-making, data retention, and transparency. Will organizations eventually be required to delete AI-related data after certain periods, or will different standards emerge?

    2. Where does legal responsibility ultimately sit?
    If a hotel were to rely on AI-generated decisions or responses without properly challenging or auditing them, and those decisions resulted in a significant legal issue, who would be responsible? Would the hotel bear full accountability, or would the AI developer share some of the liability? This feels like an area that will become increasingly important as adoption grows.

    One Thing I Find Most Interesting

    The thing I continue to find most intriguing is the industry’s appetite to explore AI and its potential. There are countless companies investing, experimenting, and refining solutions, and over the coming years it will become very clear who the leaders, early adopters, and followers are. What surprises me, however, is that most of this momentum appears to be coming from individual companies. Many of the associations and organizations that represent our industry still seem to be a step behind. I believe they have an important role to play in helping develop standards, provide guidance, and advocate for the responsible adoption of what could be one of the most transformative periods our industry has experienced.

    • Kimberley

      Member
      July 4, 2026 at 3:08 pm

      I believe the momentum is coming from individual companies as opposed to the institutions that should be regulators because the laws are slow to catch up with how fats AI is moving, and so the regulatory bodies have to toe the line with the laws, whereas individual companies are not held to that.

  • Rachel

    Member
    June 17, 2026 at 6:33 pm

    AI is becoming more common in the hospitality industry, from chatbots answering guest questions to mobile check-in and personalized recommendations. While these tools can improve efficiency and the guest experience, they also raise important questions about privacy, security, and ethics.

    1. One thing I’ve learned is that AI depends heavily on guest data to personalize experiences. Because hotels collect so much information, it’s important that guest data is stored securely and used responsibly.

    2. I learned that AI systems can sometimes be biased depending on the data they are trained on. This could impact things like recommendations, pricing, or loyalty programs and may unintentionally treat guests differently.

    3. I’ve also learned that AI should support hotel employees rather than replace them. Hospitality is built on human interaction, and while AI can make operations more efficient, guests still value personal service.

    Two Questions I have are:

    1. As AI becomes more common in hospitality, will smaller hotels be able to compete with larger brands if they don’t have the resources to invest in advanced technology?

    2. What regulations will be put in place to ensure hotels use AI ethically and protect guest data?

    The most interesting thing to me is how AI can personalize the guest experience. It’s impressive that technology can learn guest preferences and make recommendations that people actually enjoy, but it’s also interesting to think about where the line is between convenience and privacy and how this is disclosed to guests. I have yet to stay at a hotel that has integrated AI so I am curious for my next trip and now being so aware of it will be more observant

    • This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  Rachel.
    • Kimberley

      Member
      July 4, 2026 at 3:05 pm

      I share the exact sentiments.

    • Samir

      Member
      July 24, 2026 at 5:07 am

      I am very curious as to how far will small and middle level hotels go with or without AI integration?

  • Kimberley

    Member
    July 4, 2026 at 3:05 pm

    This week’s topic on ethical considerations in AI has been very impactful for me because it is one of the main concerns I have especially in the medical industry. Below are the three things I’ve learned:

    1. Consent and transparency are the foundation of ethical personalization. This is a standard for me in medical practice so resonates well. The line between helpful personalization and intrusive surveillance is thinner than it seems. The same data integration that enables a thoughtful guest recommendation can just as easily feel invasive if guests weren’t clearly informed and given a say in how their data is used. Ethical AI in hospitality isn’t primarily a technical problem; it’s a governance and communication problem.

    2. Bias in AI systems is inherited, not invented. Whether in hiring algorithms or guest-facing recommendation engines, AI tends to reproduce whatever patterns, including biased ones, existed in its training data. This means the responsibility for auditing and correcting biased outcomes still sits with the humans deploying the system.

    3. Security risk scales with data centralization. Unifying guest data across systems (PMS, CRM, POS) is what makes AI genuinely useful, but it also means a single breach can expose a much richer, more sensitive profile of a guest than any one fragmented system would have held alone. The efficiency gains from integration and the security risks from centralization are two sides of the same coin.

    Two Questions I Still Have

    1. As AI-generated content (fake reviews, AI-written responses, synthetic guest interactions) becomes harder to distinguish from genuine human activity, how will hospitality platforms and regulators define and enforce authenticity standards going forward?

    2. Given that data breaches and privacy violations tend to erode trust disproportionately in high-touch, relationship-driven industries, will hospitality brands differentiate themselves through demonstrable data ethics (not just compliance) as a competitive advantage, the way some brands compete on sustainability today?

    One Thing That’s Most Interesting

    The uncanny valley research around service robots is the most surprising thread for me. It’s counterintuitive that guests responded better to obviously non-human, zoomorphic robots (dinosaurs) than to more humanlike ones — it suggests that AI’s success in hospitality may depend less on how convincingly human it appears and more on being honest about what it is. That has implications well beyond robots: even in software-based AI (chatbots, recommendation engines), the more effective and trusted systems may be the ones that don’t pretend to be something they’re not.

  • Samir

    Member
    July 24, 2026 at 5:05 am

    Three Things You’ve Learned: Share three insights or pieces of information you have learned about ethics, privacy, and security concerns in AI, or about future AI and ML trends in hospitality.

    · AI Creates massive privacy and security concerns primarily due to massive influx of data and topping off with lack of transparency

    · Data leak and Exposure- vulnerable to unauthorized users. Massive data mean Mass surveillances, analyzing of personal habits

    · AI based decisions can be biased and discriminatory

    Two Questions You Still Have: Pose two questions that remain unanswered for you, perhaps related to the implications of these technologies or their future developments.

    · Do we have a federal or global legal set of guidelines which can make it a universally legal practice?

    · Any set of rules which can protect or prevent unauthorized use or random misuse?

    One Thing That’s Most Interesting: Highlight one aspect of AI or ML trends or ethical considerations that you find most intriguing or surprising.

    · AI data collected is so massive, real time assisting hyper personalization for guests, making each and every guest experience unique and super special in it targeted way

Log in to reply.